Writing is an art. A beautiful art; in which you express your emotions, feelings, and thoughts using words. A writer not only describes his/her thoughts but also of that every single person who cannot do his. In recent times writing didn’t remain only a hobby but has become a leading profession. Many of the young writers and poets are doing a great job. But at the same time, many undergraduate students are even not able to write a formal leave application or a demand letter. This must be changed; everyone should be able to write at least formal letters and emails. Here I am sharing some information and tips to improve your writing skills.
Types of Writings-
There are mainly 4 types of writing- Descriptive, expository, narrative, and persuasive. But let us ignore this, and make it simple. Just consider two types of writing one is “Content Writing” and the other is “Creative Writing”. Let’s discuss more about this.
This type of writing includes formal writing which describes facts and figures. One needs to find collect data on some particular topic and present it in a simple way. It follows sequences and methodologies. Content writing can be seen in newspapers, blogs, some articles, newsletters, formal letters, etc. in this type sometimes is the writer’s opinion is taken while sometimes not. A new trend called “Technical Writer” has come which includes content writing about new technology products.
This type of writing is completely the opposite of content writing. It does not require to follow any sequence or to use any formal words or to present data facts. One can use poetic, decorative language. You can use alliterations and rhymes. You can write what you feel and what you think. You can describe the topic in your language. Creative writing can be seen in poems, song lyrics, stories, novels, biographies, etc.
Now we discussed what writing is and what are its types, now let’s take a look at some tips to improve your writing skills
- Reading– A good writer is always a good reader. The more you read the more knowledge you will gain. In both, content as well as in creative writing reading is the most important thing. Reading not only helps you gaining knowledge but also helps you understand how to present your thoughts or data collected by you more effectively. You can read various newspapers, books, articles, fictions. The best method to start the hobby of reading is to start reading newspapers daily. Nowadays almost all the newspapers are available digitally.
- Listening and Observation– Many times only reading is not sufficient, you need to experience the real condition. Listening and observation skills are important as much as reading. By listening to what I mean is listening to various speakers and orators you can learn how to use words effectively. And in case of observation in types like narration, you must have observed the real situation. Many poets/poetess write poems from there observation of nature, surroundings, society, and people.
- Practice– Never stop writing practice if you want to be a better writer. Even machineries stop working if they are not used. The same thing also applies to skills; not only regarding the writing but betterment in any skill you should not stop working. You should write whatever you want it may have some flaw. Because it’s the practice and consistency which makes a man perfect.
- Reviews and feedbacks– As I mentioned above you should keep writing it may have some flaws; these flaws can be determined by taking the opinion and feedback of others. Today you have social media as the best platform for this work. Platforms like LinkedIn are used by many experienced and professional people who can give the best feedbacks and suggest changes if required. Along with these, you can take the opinion of your friends, parents, siblings, and mentors.
Some does and don’ts
- Take sufficient knowledge of the topic you are writing about.
- Use simple but effective language and words.
- Choose an attractive title.
- Never copy others content.
- You can use quotation marks if you use anybody’s content for reference and mention his/her name.
- Don’t distract from the topic.